Internal Complaint Committee
Responsibility of the committee
Definition of Sexual Harassment:
Structure of ICC :
The Internal Complaints Committee has two major functions
- To work towards creating an atmosphere promoting equality, non-discrimination and gender sensitivity.
- To promote and facilitate measures to create a work environment that is free of sexual harassment.
- To receive and take cognizance of complaints made about sexual harassment at the university and give every complaint serious consideration.
- Crisis Management, Mediation and Counseling
- To conduct enquiries into the complaints, place findings and recommendations regarding penalties against the harasser.
Rules and Procedures:
The committee shall meet as and when any complaint is received by it. The complaint may be received by any member of the committee.
- The committee may direct the complainant to prepare and submit a detailed statement of incidents if the written complaint lacks exactness and required particulars, within two (2) days from such direction or such other period that the committee may decide.
- The committee shall direct the accused employee(s) or student to prepare and submit a written response to the complaint/allegations within four (4) days from such direction or such other period as the committee may decide.
- Each party shall be provided with a copy of the written statement(s) submitted by the other.
- The committee shall conduct the proceedings following the principles of natural justice. It shall allow both parties a reasonable opportunity of presenting their case. However, should the accused choose not to participate in the proceedings, the committee shall continue ex parte.
- The committee shall allow both parties to produce relevant documents and witnesses to support their case. Documents produced by either party shall be affixed with that party's signature to certify the document as an original/true copy.
- The party against whom the document/witness is produced shall be entitled to challenge/cross-examine the same.
- The committee shall sit on a day-to-day basis to record and consider the evidence produced by both parties.
- As far as practicable, all proceedings of the committee shall take place in the presence of both parties.
- Minutes of all proceedings of the committee shall be prepared and duly signed by the members of the committee.
- The committee shall make all endeavour to complete its proceedings within fifteen (15) days from the date of receipt of the complaint.
- The committee shall record its findings in writing supported with reasons and shall forward the same with its recommendations, to the principal, within five (5) days from completion of the proceedings before it. In case the Committee finds that the facts disclose the commission of a criminal offense by the accused person, this shall be specifically mentioned in the committee’s report.
- If, in the course of the proceedings before it, the committee is satisfied that a prima facie case of sexual harassment is made out against the accused employee(s)/student and that there is any chance of the recurrence of any such action, or that it is required to do so in the interests of justice, it may, on the request of the complainant or otherwise, disciplinary action could be initiated in the form of:
• Written apology
• Bond of good behavior
• Adverse remarks in the confidential report
• Debarring from supervisory duties
• Denial of membership in statutory bodies
• Denial of re-employment/re-admission
• Stopping of increments/promotion/denying admission ticket
• Reverting, demotion
If in the course of the proceedings before it, the committee is satisfied that any person has retaliated against / victimized the complainant or any person assisting the complainant as a result of the complaint having been made or such assistance having been offered, the Committee shall report the same in writing, to the principal, with reasons and with recommendations of the action to be taken against such person.
- Note : Internal Complaint committeeDownload