In the Session 2016-17 our College (SSJDVSSS Govt.P.G.CollegeRanikhet, Almora) was selected as Nodal College for the district (Almora) to conduct and supervise various activities under SVEEP program at degree level. Our College has the privilege to spearhead Electoral literacy activities in almost 18 Government Colleges of the District.
Shortly thereafter under the guidance of District Election Office ELC (Electoral Literacy Club) was instituted in the institution (on 31/03/2018). Thereafter an ELC is constituted every session. Each year many programs and activities are regularly organized by the ELC to promote systematic voter education and enhance electoral participation.
Electoral Literacy Club are being set up in the country to promote electoral literacy in all age groups of the Indian citizens through engaging and interesting activities and hands-on experience but in an apolitical, neutral and non-partisan manner. Electoral Literacy Club are especially being set up in colleges all across India targeting the new voters, (in the age- group of 18-21 years old) pursuing their graduation. The Electoral Literacy Club will have all the students from all faculties and semesters as its members.
Though ELC’s are also formed at school level from 14 years onwards, the College ELCs will have 18 – 21 year olds students as its members. One can become a member by registering herself/himself at the beginning of the academic year. After registration, one is recognized as a member till the completion of her/his graduation course..
In SSJDVSSS Govt, P.G.CollegeRanikhet the ELC comprises of a Nodal Officer, Mentor Officer and selected student members from all three faculties (Arts, Commerce and Science)
- To educate the targeted populations about voter registration, electoral process and related matters through hands on experience
- To facilitate EVM and VVPAT familiarization and education about the robustness of EVM as well as the integrity of the electoral process using EVMs
- To help the target audience understand the value of their vote and exercise their right to franchise in a confident, comfortable and ethical manner.
- To harness the potential of ELC members for carrying the electoral literacy in communities.
- To facilitate voter registration for its eligible members who are not yet registered.
- To develop a culture of electoral participation and maximize the informed and ethical voting.
- Each year to mark the National Voters Day (25th January) our College organises awareness programssuch as Slogan writing, Students rally, Speech competition, nukkadnataks, poster making and follow the themes enumerated by the Election Commission- ‘Every vote counts’, ‘No Voter to be Left Behind’ and “Nothing like voting and I vote for sure”.
- At the start of each academic session ,the first semester and third semester undergraduate students (who will attain voting age of 18 years) are targeted to fill (Form 06) so they acquire their EPIC cards. Time and again special drives are also organised with the collaboration of administration for voters cards.